Re: libdl.so.2 error

Message: 5 Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 20:43:58 -0500 From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: libdl.so.2 error To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx> Message-ID: <1116985438.10205.3.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Content-Type: text/plain On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 15:10 -0600, Saurabh Barve wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I did not want to put an "URGENT" label in the subject but this is quite
>> urgent!
>>
>> I had one IDE port on my mobo get fried due to a power surge. I am now
>> using a PCI-IDE card to hook up my two hard drives. The machine had FC2
>> running on it - 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp kernel.

You used an ~$40 ide controller card instead of spending ~$100 for a new
mobo?  And you knew that at least the ide controller on the mobo is
fried?

That seems a bit like trying to scrape the burn off the outside of the
toast and serving it anyway.

>> The problem I'm having is that the machine will not boot properly. After
>> grub loads, everything else is skipped, and I get a prompt that says
>> "(none) login: ". When I try to login at this prompt, I'm not asked for
>> my password, and the login prompt appears again.
>>
>> After a while, I noticed this error:
>> ---
>> /bin/login: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot
>> open object file: input/output error
>> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes
>> ---
>>
>> I tried to 'upgrade' my installation using the FC2 CD to see if that
>> fixes the problem, but when the installer searches for the FC2
>> installations, it gets killed with the error: "swap not initialized".
>>
>> I then booted the FC2 CD in linux rescue mode. I can see that
>> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 is pointing to /lib/ld-2.3.3.so. But /lib/libdl.so.2
>> is not being read, in the sense that I can list it with the ls command,
>> but when I try to do `ls -l` on it, I get an 'input/output error'. I
>> tried this to forcibly create a link:
>>
>> `ln -s /lib/libdl-2.3.3.so /lib/libdl.so.2'
>>
>> but I get an error : cannot create link: read only filesystem
>>
>> I even tried to `rm -rf /lib/libdl.so.2' and the command returned
>> without any errors. But I still cannot `ln -s' in the /lib directory.

The controller fried. Maybe the disk is corrupted.

Ummm. I had the controller as a spare at hand. Replacing the mobo would have taken time. I needed to get the machine up quickly. :/