Re: SATA drives in core 3

From: Saurabh Bathe <sbathe@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Ryan Abell <st.fallen@xxxxxxxxx>,For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SATA drives in core 3
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:33:08 +0530

Ryan Abell wrote:

Hello,
I am trying to install FC3 on an Alienware 7700, to a secondary hard
disk. I am not really familiar with SATA drives, and Windows Xp has
them as SCSI drives. Is there a recommended driver to use for these
drives, or some other tactic i need to use in order for anaconda to
detect them?
Thank You

Hi Ryan,

Linux detects SATA drives as SCSI.

Generally your sata controller and the drives should be automatically detected, unless you use the so called "hardware" RAID /fakeraid feature of some of the onboard SATA controllers.
Though most of the controllers are natively supported and detected, there might be a few which are not supported/poorly supported.
Telling us which controller you have would me more helpful.

-Saurabh
hi,
i have the same problem that anaconda doesnt detect my sata drive. its a sata_sis controller.
Regards
Azeem