Re: Internet tracking options

On 28 Mar 2005, at 19:01, Scot L. Harris wrote:

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 11:50, Mark Haney wrote:

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 11:45, Mark Haney wrote:

Well after a small hiatus, I am back on the list again.  It's good to
finally think about something other than Windows.  Here's my question
to the list.  What options are there to track Users internet usage in
Linux?  Not just bandwidth, which isn't an issue, but what sites are
visited etc?  I know squid does this, but the log files are a pain to
go through.  Are there any other apps out there that I can test?

Why not write a script to parse the squid log files for you?

I suppose I could, however, my intention is to look at alternatives for
those times when squid isn't used. I guess I should have mentioned that
earlier.

Without using a proxy server to funnel all http requests you will have to find another choke point where you can monitor all traffic. The logical place would be the external firewall. Even there you will need to parse the firewalls logs to collect the data you want to look at.

In a normal setup where squid is used the firewall is typically set to
block all http requests unless they come from the proxy server. If this
is not done then the proxy server may go unused and you won't get any
benefit from having it in place.

You may need to explain more of what it is you really want to do and the
environment you are trying to set this up in.

Without a choke point to log and view the traffic, which implies parsing
a log file at some point, there are no real good ways to get what I
think you are asking. Trying to sniff traffic on the fly is difficult
at best and still requires a central choke point.

Using a firewall exclusively will make very difficult to get per-user usage statistics, unless works as a standard proxy or an ALG. Any other way, like a bridging firewall or transparent proxy, you can only track per-machine usage statistics.