Re: ssh on RH Linux 7

Analog Kid wrote:

I am running RH Linux 7 on an old computer and
it has a static IP address. I am unable to SSH to it or SSH from it to
another computer. Any idea how I can enable the SSH client. Must I
modify the file /etc/ssh/ssh_config?

. . . .
service sshd status (or service sshd start)
ping machines ... ensure that there is connectivity.

There is no need to enable the ssh client ....

If you can paste any further information I'm sure someone will at least bite ;)

Regards,

Sean

The default config for sshd is workable, albeit not as secure as one might want, at least on Fedora. I haven't seen an RH7 box in a long while. Check these points, too:

Make sure you are using the right tool: 'ssh' is the client, 'sshd' is the server. I've seen people get these confused.
Make certain that your firewall is allowing connections on your SSH port. The default is 22, although you can change it.

You can check the man pages for 'ssh' to see how to use the client and get the options correct, particularly if you want X11 forwarding and stuff to work.

Post again or go off list if this is not enough help.     Erik