Re: [SOLVED] HAL is broken again...

Mark Weaver wrote:
Aaron Gaudio wrote:

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 08:47 -0500, Mark Weaver wrote:

mount: block device /dev/hdd is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd,
       or too many mounted file systems

I don't know about HAL, but those messages are from mount (probably called from hald). It usually means wrong fs type (what is in fstab for /dev/hdd and what is the filesystem on the CD? if you put 'auto' in fstab it usually works for both iso and udf filesystems), that the CD is blank, or that it is otherwise corrupted.

Have you tried mounting /dev/hdd manually?

well... fstab looks like this:
/dev/hdd /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,managed 0 0

mounting manually as root user returns this:
[root@ws1 mdw1982]# mount /dev/hdd
mount: block device /dev/hdd is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd,
       or too many mounted file systems

what bugs me most is that it "had" been working correctly as a normal user when media was inserted into either device. Problem is I don't know which update broke the darn thing.

reinstalled HAL and its all better now.

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996