Re: installation help

Paul wrote:
Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Do, den 24.03.2005 schrieb Paul um 16:13:

I tried and failed to install this OS on my laptop (PIII-650 384 megs of ram). I did this by downloading FC3-i386-DVD.iso and burning it onto a dvd with my desktop (running Windows XP), and then installing. I had it destroy all former partitions (Windows ME) that was on there previously, and everything seemed to go very well. Then it was done about a half an hour later and I rebooted.

It hangs while trying to boot up and I can't figure out the cause. Here's the information I see during bootup that may or maynot be relevant :

Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)'
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet

Remove the "rhgb" parameter from the kernel line. To do so press "a"
while sitting at the grub boot screen. You then see the kernel parameter
line and there remove "rhgb". Then boot. Probably that will fix it. If
it does you will later have to either make the kernel parameter line
change being default or find the trouble maker. Would be needed to know
what graphics card you have in the host.

Alexander

(when I say hang, I mean that it just stops. The information displayed above stays there for hours if I let it.)

This didn't solve the problem. Here's the screen I'm staring at now instead:

Booting command-list
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 quiet
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x155da5]
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
[Linux-initrd @ 0x17ee4000, 0xebc97 bytes]
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
audit(1111703767.4294965660:0): initialized
Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while
Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
2 logical volumes(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
INIT: version 2.85 booting
Setting default font (latarcyrheb-sun16) [ OK }

Welcome to Fedora Core
Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
Starting udev: [ OK ]
Initializing hardware... storage network audio

Still hanging (stopping) here and doing nothing. It has an S3 Savage/IX Graphics Controller.

The complete specs in PDF format are at the Toshiba website at this address: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_outFrm.jsp?moid=1073810427&ct=DS&soid=638150&BV_SessionID=@@@@1641604106.1111702530@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddeeijdddjcgfkceghdgngdgnn.0

I noticed that the webpage specified that you have acpi power management. Some laptops have broken acpi and must be booted using acpi=off in the grub config file. In my case, I must add acpi=on in the kernel line to get my computer to boot.

I think that acpi is enabled in the kernel now, so most likely you might have luck with adding acpi=off in the grub boot.

I supposed the same problem that Alexander mentioned regarding the removal of rhgb from the grub entry during bootup.

I have this example added to my grub.conf file. You can edit the grub line to reflect similar parameters and see how they work.

Pressing a during bootup and then backspacing out rhgb quiet and replacing the line with a space followed by acpi=off might be worth a try. If you want to boot into runlevel 3, then add another space followed by a 3 as in the example below.

This is a guess of course.

Jim

title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.770_FC3)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=on 3

--
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a
warning to others.