Re: Installing FC3 with Controller SATA Raid Silicon Image 3114

Am Do, den 24.03.2005 schrieb Francesco Del Citto um 12:21:

> I have an Athlon64 3500+ with a motherboard Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and
> two HD Maxtor 6B300S0 (Diamondmax 10 - 300Gb).
> I'd like to install Fedora Core 3 x86_64 with the hard disk connected
> to the SATA RAID Controller Silicon Image 3114 of the motherboard,
> setted up like Raid1 (mirrored).
> The problem is that, even if I set up the RAID drive by the controller
> utility, linux installer "sees" two separated disks. Software RAID
> seems to works fine.

It is so called fake RAID controller chip, because the RAID logic
function is BIOS supported but done in software and not in hardware. Use
the controller simply as a SATA controller and setup a Linux software
RAID.

> I tried the linux disk driver downloaded from Silicon Image, but it
> dosn't work, or I'm not able to let it works...

Then this is a problem with that driver source. I wouldn't count on such
a driver as you always run into problem when a kernel security update is
required.

> I know that this controller is used on lots of motherboard, so I hope
> that someone could help me!

As said, use it as a SATA controller and use Linux's RAID capabilities
in software. In any way your CPU has to do the work.

> Francesco

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 13:24:24 up 7 days, 11:20, load average: 0.42, 0.45, 0.42