Re: Gnome vs KDE

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

David Curry wrote:

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

I'd like to hope that everyone complaining of this issue has filed appropriate bug reports.

Thanks, Arthur! I had not filed a bug report on inability to mount CD drives while running the KDE desktop since FC2 is so near Fedora EOL, the problem first occurred on my RH 8.0 system, and I suspected that Fedora Bugzilla searches would be as worthless as my fedora-list archive searches with the archive search engine. But, on your gentle prodding I proceeded to file a bug report anyway until I reached the point of inputing specific message text.

I logged off the gnome desktop and started a KDE desktop session, stuck a CD in /mnt/cdrom/ (CD-RW drive) and VOILA!! The drive automounted.
Trying to stick a music CD in /mnt/cdrom1/ (CD-ROM drive), I found the drive already mounted. Replacing that CD with a music CD and after adjusting some sound preferences I am now listening to music while composing this mail.

Baffling is an understatement here. I have made no changes to my system setup. No updates have been applied since I last logged into a KDE desktop session. The only thing that I can think of which might distinguish this experience from earlier attempts to use the desktop is that I had left a CD in the /mnt/cdrom1 device.

Ahh the power of bugzilla :D

On a more serious note, I suspect it may have been more benifical if the problem was more reproducable to aid the bug report. However it works for you., that's good.

Peace

Well, the CD mount problem is back -- sort of. And it is now sort of a CD drive unmount problem - sort of.

The problems emerged immediately after I used the KDE gui interfaces to issue the command to eject a CD without first clicking on the unmount menu option. The mount/unmount behavior of the drives is now pretty erratic, but some consistencies may be emerging. I am beginning to suspect that something is amiss with the way the drives are jumpered.