Re: Gnome vs KDE

On Monday 21 March 2005 16:47, Hodgins Family wrote:
> Good afternoon!
>
> On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 20:33 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > Phil Labonte wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > >What is better for use as a Desktop system; KDE or Gnome?
>
> <snip>
>
> > BTW ... such a question is generally asking for a war. So far however
> > the responses seem quite mature.
>
> This is excellent advice. Neither is "better" for use as a Desktop
> system. Work with one or the other until you really get to know what it
> can do and what its limitations are. Then switch to the other and work
> with it until you know what its limitations are and what you can do with
> it.
>
> Possibly, if your computer resources allow it, you may have both
> "Desktops" on your computer which would allow you to switch back and
> forth on an "as needed basis". Alternatively, there are many other
> "Desktops" out there that could satisfy your needs.
>
> Rob

Hi all:

Actually, from my own experience, there has been no need to switch "as
needed".  I've tried both but PREFER (strictly personal choice) KDE as my
desktop, but find a few GNOME apps that I prefer over the KDE versions.  So I
just use the "run command" to start the GNOME app.  So far it's always worked
without error.  This with both installed (full FC4t1 install-everything).
All the libraries for the GNOME programs are there along with all the KDE
stuff.

HAVE IT YOUR OWN WAY!

Tom

--