Re: ntpq stopped working

Paul Howarth wrote:

Bob Goodwin wrote:

I never had this problem until a few days ago when ntpq quit working.:

           # ntpq -p
           Name or service not known

What service does it mean, "ntpq?"

I don't know what I did, if anything, to cause this?
I made no changes intended for ntp.

Any help appreciated.

Does your /etc/hosts file include an entry for "localhost", and does your /etc/services file include these entries?:

ntp             123/tcp
ntp             123/udp                         # Network Time Protocol

Paul.

Bingo, that was the problem!

# cat /etc/hosts
10.1.1.1        box1    box1
10.1.1.2        box2    box2

Changed to:

# cat /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1       box1    localhost.localdomain   localhost
10.1.1.1        box1    box1
10.1.1.2        box2    box2

And now when I run my script to correct the time:
# ./tsync
Shutting down ntpd:                                        [  OK  ]
ntpd: Synchronizing with time server:                      [  OK  ]
Starting ntpd:                                             [  OK  ]

Mon Mar 21 09:34:41 EST 2005
ntpq -p
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
ntp-1.cns.vt.ed 198.82.247.40 2 u 4 64 1 137.031 2.686 0.002
ntp-4.cns.vt.ed 198.82.247.40 2 u 3 64 1 137.576 1.375 0.002
clock2.redhat.c .CDMA. 1 u 2 64 1 157.490 0.625 0.002

This is not the first time I've had a problem with /etc/hosts, both FC2 and FC3 on two different computers here. I connect to ATT dial up using "network device control," [I'm in a rural area and there's no high speed service available yet] if I click on configure [usually by accident] and mess with settings it re-creates /etc/hosts/ without the required first line! Something wrong there it seems?

Usually it causes the boot process to stop for a minute or so on "sendmail" and I know what to fix, not so this time? I shut the computer off the last few nights and rebooed in the morning without any indication of that problem. Just when I think I know something it turns out to be wrong!

/etc/services looks good ...
nntp 119/tcp readnews untp # USENET News Transfer Protocol
nntp 119/udp readnews untp # USENET News Transfer Protocol

Thanks for the help.

Bob Goodwin