Re: Antivirus in FC3?

On 20 Mar 2005, at 20:29, Craig White wrote:
Homogenous UID mappings are easily achieved through NIS or LDAP
implementation or simply replicating /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow
& /etc/group from computer to computer - perhaps a bit beyond the scope
of a home network but certainly achievable.

Right, but NIS/LDAP requires a lot of infraestructure which increases complexity. Of course, they can be useful in medium/large networks, but I think it's a bit overkill for a small network. Thus, I prefer Samba as it doesn't require any additional infraestructure.

The point was however, Gene has stated emphatically that he has never
owned a Windows system but he uses Windows networking protocols to
create network connections on his home network. That is indicative of
many people who believe that they are 'MS Free' but still, perhaps
unwittingly, embrace Windows technology.

Well, we're slaves of ourselves, and slaves of technology :-) However, Samba is free and is good enough to be considered, I think.

We are less MS Free than we think we are.

Freedom, much like security, is a process. We're trying the best we can and, speaking by myself self, I'm feeling more free everyday.