Re: Antivirus in FC3?

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 19:26 +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On 20 Mar 2005, at 17:47, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 20 March 2005 07:24, Craig White wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> Your comment about being 'MS Free' strikes me as rather
> >> anti-Microsoft motivated. I see Macintosh users that won't give up
> >> Microsoft Office despite their virulent anti-Microsoft charges.
> >> I've seen people on this list like Gene who claims never to have
> >> owned a Windows computer - but uses samba for networking at his
> >> house.
> >
> > Mainly because the alternative everyone wants me to try, cannot be
> > made to work, NFS.  Any and all attempts to setup an NFS share have
> > been met with a 'no permission' response from the server, this box,
> > even though I am running as root for 99% of what I do.  I come back
> > to the list with exact copies of the files you request, and everyone
> > goes away shaking their head because they don't have an answer as to
> > why I cannot make it work here.  Its supposed to Just Work(TM), but
> > it doesn't.  With all due respect, samba works for everything but
> > level sensitive backups, and amanda or rsync steps up to the plate
> > and makes a home run everytime.
>
> NFSv3 is considered insecure and lacks proper authentication (it only
> support IP-based access control which is weak), and relies on using an
> homogeneous UID mappings across clients and servers.
>
> I use Samba which uses per-share authentication. I don't like it as
> much as NFSv4, but it's a little bit more secure than NFSv3.
----
answering Gene's post and yours...

Gene believes that his home network is very secure

I exchanged a number of emails with Gene about setting up NFS and he
didn't show the interest in making it work - gave up once he satisfied
himself with the samba mounts and moved on.

Homogenous UID mappings are easily achieved through NIS or LDAP
implementation or simply replicating /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow
& /etc/group from computer to computer - perhaps a bit beyond the scope
of a home network but certainly achievable.

The point was however, Gene has stated emphatically that he has never
owned a Windows system but he uses Windows networking protocols to
create network connections on his home network. That is indicative of
many people who believe that they are 'MS Free' but still, perhaps
unwittingly, embrace Windows technology.

Some more thoughts to ponder...want to exchange word processing
documents with others? RTF format is - you guessed it - Microsoft

Sound files? WAV - Need I say?

Open your browser - see the ICON next to the URL?

that's your browser automatically asking for 'favico.ico'

What is an ICO file? a derivative of Microsoft's BMP format

We are less MS Free than we think we are.

Craig