Re: Accidentally deleted contents of /var/lib/ (Dale Sykora)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:22:55 -0700, Saurabh Barve
<sa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Saurabh Barve wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I copied over the entire /var/lib directory from another machine that
> was configured like this machine. I then did 'rpm --rebuilddb'. I then
> got a whole list of packages with 'rpm -qa'. I was also able to get my
> partitions exported using nfs. However, I don't know if the rpm database
> has been restored to its original self. I did a diff between
> /var/lib/rpm/Packages and /var/log/yum.log, and they differ. Am I right
> in comparing the two?

If you caught the problem quickly, before cron.daily fired off again,
you can compare the current listing against what the system recorded
previously by running the command in /etc/cron.daily/rpm (redirecting
it to a file other than /var/log/rpmpkgs) and running a diff between
that and the actual log,  /var/log/rpmpkgs.

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown