Re: Accidentally deleted contents of /var/lib/ (Dale Sykora)

Saurabh Barve wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running FC2. I accidentally deleted the entire contents of my
>> /var/lib/ directory. As a result, rpm -qa shows up nothing. Also, the

Hi,

I copied over the entire /var/lib directory from another machine that was configured like this machine. I then did 'rpm --rebuilddb'. I then got a whole list of packages with 'rpm -qa'. I was also able to get my partitions exported using nfs. However, I don't know if the rpm database has been restored to its original self. I did a diff between /var/lib/rpm/Packages and /var/log/yum.log, and they differ. Am I right in comparing the two?

I also ran 'up2date --update' and 'yum update' just in case, and while up2date didn't update anything, yum returned one update, which I thought normal (it updated ethereal).

Is there anything else I need to do to bring the system back in its original condition? Maybe reboot it?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Saurabh.

begin:vcard
fn:Saurabh Barve
n:Barve;Saurabh
org:Colorado State University;Department of Atmospheric Science
adr:;;4100 West Laporte Avenue;Fort Collins;CO;80523;USA
email;internet:sa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Systems Administrator
tel;work:(970) 491-7714
tel;home:(970) 416-7512