Re: tape drive error

Gene,
Thanks for the help. I'm going to fool around with it a bit more.
You'll be hearing from me if I have any problems. :-)
Thanks,
ERS

At 01:56 PM 3/16/2005, you wrote:
On Wednesday 16 March 2005 10:25, Eric Shibata wrote:
>Hi Gene,
>Do you mean interrupts?
>When I look at my /proc/interrupts I know I have other things there
> with my scsi adapter from BusLogic.

>---------------------------------------------- CPU0
>   0:   70937522          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:        200          XT-PIC  i8042
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>  11:     368831          XT-PIC  BusLogic BT-930, uhci_hcd, eth0
>  12:       4778          XT-PIC  i8042
>  14:      90206          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:     212674          XT-PIC  ide1
>NMI:          0
>ERR:          0
>Let's just say it was a cabling problem. When I insert the tape, it
> makes sound like it's rewind the tape. Would it be able to do that?

.... snip

plug that one back in and unplug the other and recheck, then the
chances are you are pretty good and have other hardware problems.
No, or very little voltage when one end of the cable is unplugged
means the device the cable is still plugged into isn't terminated and
this must be fixed.

If its only 2.65 to 2.75, its going to be a problem child
occasionally.  Below 2.5 and its likely its not going to work until
the proper voltage is re-established.

I haven't dealt with the logic zero noise margin considerations
because its a zero if the line is pulled down to less than .6 volts,
and I've not seen the scsi bus driver yet that couldn't pull the line
to well below 25 millivolts, hence its generally not a problem.  If
it can't, the driver chip is toasted, go get someone who knows which
end of a soldering iron gets hot.  I do, but I've yet to have to
replace one because of that.

Now, I hope I've helped to clarify this thing called a 'scsi bus'.

lecture mode off

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)