Re: route

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:32:28 -0500, Jeremy Davis <jdaytona@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dotan wrote:
>

> >And it seems to be slowing down by the minute! Anything that I click
> >on takes about a second to respond.
> >
> >Thanks so much.
> >
> >Dotan Cohen
> >
> >http://English-Lyrics.com/
> >http://MusicLiriks.com/
> >

> Hey Dotan,
> Attached is a copy of the output of "service --status-all" and "free".
> Another way to see what's eating your computer is using the command top.
> At the bash prompt:
> top
>
> and at the bash prompt:
> free
>
> Which will tell you about your computers memory, you'll want to look at
> the buffered used and free.
> The linux kernel sucks up most of the memory and then allocates it on a
> needed basis, is the used buffer memory is near the total used memory
> you might need more memory.
> Good luck and write back if you have more questions!
> Jeremy

Wow, thanks. I reply to the list as well for the archives sake, but I
did not inclde the information about your system as I am not sure that
that is something that you want public. Kinda reminds me of
phpinfo();.

Top was all forgien to me, other than the fact that I see that it
serves basically the same purpose as the task manager in windows does.

Acording to Free, I have about 8 megs free from a total of 483 (why
does it not show all 512 that I am supossed to have?). I could not
find an approximation of how much there is supposed to be in google,
but I understand that there wont be much because of the way the kernel
allocates it. Um, does 8 sound like a good amount to you?

And now onto service --status-all. I include the parts of it that
worry me for one reason or another. I am on a desktop system, and have
never set up a file server, web server, mail server, or pizza server
on the machine. I use KDE. Does there seem to be anything out of the
ordinary? Like the fact that Chain * (policy ACCEPT) are all blank? Or
that portmap, ssh and sendmail are running?

Thanks so much for the help. I really do appreciate it.

Dotan Cohen

http://Music-Lyriks.com/
http://Song-Liriks.com/

<my worries>

cups-config-daemon (pid 4614) is running...
Device not specified in /etc/sysconfig/diskdump
Usage: /etc/init.d/dkms_autoinstaller {start|stop}

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

hald (pid 4625) is running...

Firewall is stopped.

mDNSResponder (pid 4285) is running...
dbus-daemon-1 (pid 7158 4601) is running...
/etc/init.d/microcode_ctl: reading microcode status is
mpd (pid 4524) is running...

rndc: connect failed: connection refused

nifd (pid 4255) is running...

nscd is stopped
ntpd (pid 4474) is running...
portmap (pid 4101) is running...