Re: Archive Searches - Suggested Approaches

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:07:37 -0500, David Curry <dsccable@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm very much aware of the effort you and Duncan Lithgow have put
> forward, Gustavo, and James McKenzie before you.  Comments were tendered
> to both you and James.
>
> The thread titled, "Don't Waste Time on Fedora Mailing List Archive
> Searches - Search Engine Broken" was in part attributable to what I read
> on my first visit to your web page.  Continuation of the same theme with
> the current thread is also partly attributable to the absence of change
> in the draft Unofficial
> list rules.  Belief that a sizeable share of new subscribers will only
> read what they see on the list also prompts the current thread.  Some
> such subscribers will only subscribe after they encounter a problem or
> two and look for help.
>
> My concern over the absence of change referred to in the preceeding
> paragraph is twofold -- archive searches and direction to local system
> documentation.  Part 2 overlooks (ignores) comments I have made on those
> two subjects in response to the unofficial guide thread and the two
> threads on archive search that I initiated.  And that is fine.  It is
> your perogative to accept or reject comments I offer regarding your web
> page.  It is my perogative to continue trying in my own fashion to help
> both newcomers to the list and those fedora experts contributing their
> time and energy to help others solve their technical puzzles.
>
> Regarding fedora-list archive searches, your unofficial guide lists
> "Official archive from Redhat" first, then lists two other access
> points.  I regard pointing anyone to Redhat official archives as a
> disservice unless that pointer warns them about the official archive's
> erractic, non-functional search engine.
>
> The "Getting Help from your System" section in  Part 2 of your
> unofficial guide also overlooks a significant source of local
> documentation stored in /usr/share/doc.
>
> cheers,
>
> Dave

Dave,

Thank you a lot for your comments, they are definetely relevant. I
wonder if you could do me a favor. Could you get the latest draft
(Draft 4)

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/114434

and make the changes you suggest? Then you can post it back, maybe as
"Draft 5 - David Curry".

Thanks,

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680
If at first you don't succeed...
                              ...skydiving is not for you.