Re: Swish-e remote FC list archive search

William Hooper wrote:
Mark Weaver said:

I can't answer that because I'm not aware of the other two you speak of.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general

thank you for the links. So far from what I've seen I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well Swish-e does indexing and then displayes its information when doing searches with it.

so far, comparing results from the first link's results page for my search terms I notice first that the index isn't current - thats not really an issue as far as performance and thoroughness in concerned because that is easily corrected. However, the second thing I noticed is that the results being displayed are not ranked at all so I don't have any definitive way at first glance to tell which link is mostly likely to provide me with the information I'm looking for.

Yes, I know Google doesn't display that information either, but its implied since the serps display the results, in descending fashion, according to relevance to the submitted query. Swish does the same thing, but also labels the results displayed with its rank according to how much weight the returned results has with your search terms.

It isn't readily apparent as to whether or not the engines at the end of either of these links does word stemming whereas Swish does. That is incredibly helpful when attempting to locate information. Since I'm not a search engine expert these are only my observations and opinions.

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996