Re: Custom Kernel Creation Documentation Online

Satish Balay wrote:
http://www.tqmcube.com/fc3_custom_kernel.htm

1. instead of 'chown' and stuff - just recommend using:

echo "%_topdir ${HOME}/rpm" >> ~/.rpmmacros
mkdir -p $HOME/rpm/SOURCES $HOME/rpm/SPECS $HOME/rpm/BUILD $HOME/rpm/SRPMS $HOME/rpm/RPMS/i386

This is much simpler - and sets up the env to use other srpms cleanly.

2. %debug_package %{nil}

This prevents the debug package from being generated - but at the same
time - the debug symbols don't get stripped from the primary
package. My recommendation is not to use this flag.

3. For my kernel build needs - I've just managed to edit the spec files and - and make minor patch additions/changes and use:

rpmbuild -ba --target=i696 kernel-2.6.spec

This gives both kernel.rpm & kernel.src.rpm

And to startoff - there are multiple kernels.srpms you can use

- fedora kernel  http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/3/SRPMS/
- ac kernel      http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/arjan/ac/SRPMS.kernel/

[ some patches might not apply cleanly to fedora kernel]

Satish

Sorry for the late post on this thread, but I modified the /etc/rpm/macros file to point to a directory that has plenty of space and where I can build several releases. Read through the file and it basically explains itself. I don't recommend building any rpm in a user's directory.
--
James McKenzie
With assistance, Now running 2.6.11rc3, Software Suspend 2