Re: Comments on bug 140214 - the removal of X utilities?

Bryan Ischo wrote:

Hi all.  I'd like to ask if anyone has any comments on bugzilla bug
140214.  This bug is in regards to the removal in Fedora Core of the X
utility programs xbiff, xmessage, and xcalc.  Are there Fedora Core
developers on this list who can comment?

The gist of the problem is that one developer, Mike A. Harris, has decided
to remove these programs from the xorg-x11 RPM.  He has never given any
reason for doing so and it can only be surmised that be believes that
these programs are superfluous, presumably because he doesn't use them.

The number of users of these programs is probably not terribly large, but
then again, the size of these programs and the difficulty in maintaining
them is incredibly small (they have been a part of the base X system for
about 20 years now and as far as I know there has not been a bug or
maintaince issue with these programs in 20 years!).

Probably you have respond to yourself.

Mike A. Harris seems unwilling to consider the needs of users with respect
to this issue.  He has simply decreed that these programs shall no longer
be in Fedora Core and gives no reason for this.  I can appreciate wanting
to "clean up" and remove programs which are no longer useful, but these
programs *are* useful, at least to some users, and furthermore, they add
only literally a couple of hundred K (at most) to the distribution.

He has suggested that the X.org software will be removing these programs
from its core system in the future. Perhaps that is true, but why not
wait until *then* to remove them from Fedora Core? Why pre-emptively
remove them without providing for any other place to put them? Why not
create a new small optional RPM called X-old-utils or something like that?

This should be the most sensate solution to problem.

And why not wait until the X.org project decides to remove these programs
to do that? The simple fact is that it has taken MORE maintainance work
to prematurely remove these programs, for no apparent reason, than it ever
did to just leave them in. And it in no way satisfies any user to have
these programs removed nor does it improve the Fedora Core distribution.

If nobody use them why they should increase packet's size?

The most frustrating thing is that Mike A. Harris simply gives no reason
for removing them, and seems to refuse to respond to user's pleas to leave
these insignificant programs in the x11-xorg RPM. All that is necessary
to put these programs back in is the removal of two or three comment
characters that Mike A. Harris added to the spec file. That's it. Why
won't he do this?

This is absolutely THE worst mode for acting...

Are these decisions made by a collective of developers at Fedora or is it
all the work of just one person? If there is collective input on this,
can I please hear some thoughts from other developers? If it's the work
of just one person, can I please at least hear a reasonable explanation
from that person about why this has been done?

I think that everyman should response on his actions when somebody asks...

The bug has been closed as WONTFIX but I'm really hoping that the needs of
users can be heard here and that we can get this issue sorted out.

Thank you, and best wishes,
Bryan

Bryan Ischo bryan@xxxxxxxxx N, R, 6
New York, NY, USA http://www.ischo.com RedHat Linux 7.3