newbie in trouble - recovering fstab

well, i've gone and done it now. Somehow while I tried to find a way
of moving my /home directory to a partition of it's own everything is
f**ed up.

I was looking into moving /home because it'd run completely out of
space on the ext3 part where everythingis (i hope!)

As part of that i must have typed something wrong because in my
atempts to copy /home from the command line - i ended up copying /
(everything) which naturally ran out of space and stopped everything
working...

Somehow trying to edit in vi from the command line, instead of saving
an edited fstab, supposed to mount the new partition, i managed to
truncate it 0kb - it's empty. So now I can't get anything to start.

I can get the command line in rescue mode, or single user mode by
editing the grub config. I notice also that fstab~ is still there -
but i can't work out how to copy it to fstab.

Heeellllp ...

Yours sincerely, A. Twerp
Stupidville
( Duncan )

:-)

(luckily i never uninstalled XP - so I can ask for help...)