fixing/reinstalling grub

Hi All,

In the midst of a migration away from a proprietary Dell box into a nice new ATX box I've run into a few problems. The only things from the dell box that went into the ATX box were of course my hard drives and a CD writer. Fedora orginally came up beautifully when I first booted the box. AMAZING job that the developers have done with this distro.

However, its a dual boot system and Windows XP lives on the drive as well. While I was attempting to get the "other" OS to boot I torched the bootloader and after doing battle with it for a time decided to simply reload. After all.. its a workstation and I had all critical data files backed up.

Here's where it gets interesting...

My Dell restore CD for WinXP won't work on this box. no surprise, so in order to get things running again I loaded FC3 so I'd be able to work. Its the first thing on the drive living where WinXP "had" lived before. /dev/hda1. I've always "heard" that windows prefers to be the first OS on the drive but that isn't how things worked out this time. So my question in this:

Since Windows will be the second OS on the system and installing it will wipe out the MBR and bootloader, (grub) how do I restore the bootloader once the windows installation is complete?

Thanks in advance,

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996