Re: fedora 3 latest ISO images

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 05:36:46PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:

installed from rawhide. With rawhide, you need to get the boot.iso on the same day that you want to perform the upgrade/install. I believe this is highly related to anaconda and the installer image that is used.

It's simply because there's two parts to anaconda, the first boot stage and
then the main second stage. These have a serial number which has to match.
RH just bumps the number every time the install image gets rebuilt; if
you're doing it yourself, you can actually do it manually and only increment
the number when you know there's some incompatibility.

Not that you probably care about this. :)

Thanks for the info. I knew that there was a second stage being loaded after the http or ftp mirror was contacted successfully. I wasn't clear as to why the boot.iso had to be downloaded for the day the installation/upgrade was to be performed.

I successfully installed rawhide using either the first install disk for the previous release or the rescue disc. I haven't tried to install rawhide with this method recently though.
After I changed over to using the bot.iso, I went through a few CDR's before I wised up a bit and changed to using a CD-RW. Why it needed to be different every day was a mystery.
:-)
Jim

--
Ignorance is never out of style.  It was in fashion yesterday, it is the
rage today, and it will set the pace tomorrow.