Re: Yum update problem

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I don't really understand what fedora-extras is trying to achieve.
> Is it more or less way-out than fedora-devel ?

Um. Think about what "core" means. It's not supposed to be every last
linux package under the sun. You don't need all the obscure packages in
the distro, and adding them would send the size and/or number of the
.isos rocketing.

Core is supposed to be a good, general purpose operating system. Extras
is for the stuff not popular enough to get into core, and not necessary
for getting an OS working. (For example, support for obscure hard drive
adapters belongs in Core: not just because that's the way the RPMS go at
the moment but because you would need it to install on those obscure
adapters).

Extras is still Fedora, which means that it can't include MP3 support:
the same legal reasons apply. And it isn't going to include packages
that replace Core packages: there's a shadowy "Fedora Alternatives" that
may come later when Fedora Extras is working well.

Fedora are still working out where the dividing line is.

See http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/terminology.html for the
official position.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | "A remote is a *great* thing. It lets you be in charge.
Exeter    Devon    UK | It gives you control. Even if it's just for something