Re: 100% Linux - Is it possible?

The question is - can you live completely without Windows, or do you sooner or

later have to resort to Windows again?

I have one Windows box here because I still have customers (software dev) who need me to do dev on their Windows platform. But that's the only time that box is used.

-- Pete

You can do without windows but it really depends on what you are doing.

I've been M$ free at home for some time, however, my wife refuses to use the
Linux machine. It's a prejudice based on what she is used to -- we all are
aflicted by it to some extent. As an example, Firefox and Thunderbird. Because
they run on Linux they must suck, so there is resistance to even look (though,
once I hid the IE icon from the desktop.....).

I got my wife to change by explaining that I was too busy to keep 'fixing' her Windows machine. And I required her to use Mozilla (now Firefox) because the first time she got nailed by a trojan, she saw what it did to _her_ machine, and the time it took me to fix it - and the risky position it put all of us in.

Once she got used to Mozilla, then we moved to OpenOffice.org on Windows,which she hated for a couple of months, but got used to. And then it was easy to move to Linux.

And our kids don't know any different - my 17 year old has her own SuSE box, the 12, 9 and 5 year old all share a Mandrake box. And they all know that we use Linux because "Windows isn't safe"....

Whil