Apache suEXEC help - solved!

Never mind, I figured it out. All users need to be defined under the docroot for suEXEC to work. That said, docroot (for suEXEC) does not need to be the same docroot for the main server's html pages.

So, I now have a suEXEC docroot of /var/www/virtual and I have individual users' cgi-bin in there and then symlinked back to their actual $HOME space. Which brings me to my next question: do I leave that symlink owned by them, or by another user to prevent accidental deletion of it? (The files with it are still owned by the user so they can do whatever they want with them obviously, but the symlink itself...?)

Also, this poses a problem with quota as well. How do I take their cgi-bin folder into account when calculating quota usage?