Re: Yum in cron confusion?

William John Murray wrote:

Thanks for the ideas:

*) cron is installed and running fine; other jobs work OK

*) /var/log/yum.log is there, but does not have this update. But since
nothing was changed, maybe this is correct

*) However, 'yum  update' is not working owing to a broken repo,
  so I THINK that maybe all the problem. If this is correct
then it is a shame there is NO LOG ANYYWHERE.

Bill

Hi Bill,

After checking the '/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron', I noticed this:
------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/yum ]; then
/usr/bin/yum -R 10 -e 0 -d 0 -y update yum
/usr/bin/yum -R 120 -e 0 -d 0 -y update
fi
the '-e 0' option turns off most error reporting, while the '-d 0' turns off debugging messages. The values of those two vary from 0--10. By playing with them you can probably get about any level of reporting you want.

--
Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student