RE: IS FC3 stable?

I consider FC3 plenty stable for most needs on most modern
hardware.  That's no guarantee, implied or otherwise.  Your
mileage may vary.  Void where prohibited.  No deposit, no
return.  Caveat emptor.  But give it a try.

>> I've noticed a couple things about FC3 that aren't Stable
>> or quite working.
>>     1. several of the server settings frontends aren't
>>        working very well, ie. the httpd and named
>>        front-ends.

I suppose it depends on which front-end you decide to use.  I
personally just finished replacing my FC1 server with an FC3
box.  It serves about a dozen small web sites and acts as a
small mail server for a few folks plus runs a few mailing
lists.  The front-end I selected for all my configuration
needs?  Vi.  My brother swears by emacs but neither of us are
particularly religious about it.  I could probably switch over
but vi seems to work well and my fingers know the key
combinations without any real thought.  Particularly for httpd
and named, I cannot ever see needing any more front end than
that.

In any case, your statement implies that it's just the front-
ends that are not quite working, rather than httpd and named.
If that's the case, (and given that vi is working as expected)
I'd say that FC3 is plenty stable for me.

>>     2. if you're looking to use the system as a mailer
>>        _Server_, you'll have some fun configuring sendmail
>>        and cyrus.  In fact a front-end to cyrus / sendmail
>>        / saslauth would be wonderful.

Well, I set up the mail server with sendmail and dovecot instead
of cyrus so I cannot speak to that specifically.  Yes, sendmail
requires you understand a bit before you can do it in your sleep.
But once you have it figured out, I cannot really see where a GUI
configuration tool is going to buy you much.  Setting up a mail
server (or a DNS or web server, for that matter) isn't something
*most* people do (even if most people on this list do).  Likewise,
my mom isn't going to be setting up an Exchange or IIS server any
time soon. ;)

Once again, once configured, sendmail and (in my case) dovecot
seem to be working wonderfully.  The server daemons themselves
don't seem to have any problems or be unstable in any way.  So,
I would recommend FC3 for anyone interested in setting up a
server.  Assuming they have at least *some* idea what they are
doing and are willing to spend a *little* time learning how
the particular server pieces work.  If they don't or they aren't,
then no, I'd probably tell them they should look elsewhere.
Actually, I'd probably suggest that server administration may not
be for them.

>>     3. multiple LUN or master/slave on sbp2 drives is still
>>        broken.

I cannot speak to this.  Doesn't apply to me.

--
Henry