Re: nsswitch.conf

Craig White wrote:

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 00:29 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 22:50, Craig White wrote:

in samba server (smb.conf) add 1 line

wins support = true

restart samba

chances are, the windows computers will all be happy. If not, add the ip
address of the linux computer to TCP/IP configuration on the windows
computers or better yet, to the dhcp server

My guess is that SuSE had 'wins support = true' already set. I don't
think that samba.org ships it that way as a default

Craig

The way I read the original posters question he wanted the Linux system
to resolve other windows systems IP addresses. I believe setting wins
support to true makes the linux system run a wins server. It will not
resolve names for IP type operations.

But if that fixes his problem great. :)

----
You could be right on that. If he wants to browse network with
linneighborhood or nautilus, it will work and probably with smbclient
too. I've been wrong before and undoubtedly, I will be wrong again.

I doubt SuSE automatically sets up dhcp/bind in a dynamic dns style.

Craig

wins support = true does indeed turn my box into a wins server, which isn't appropriate on a network with 3 boxes :) I can browse my windows network in KDE because I turned on lisa (daemon wans't started by default). This is all done by ip address though which isn't very elegant, although it does work. I need to get broadcast name resolution working, but my guess is that unless nsswitch.conf supports wins on the hosts: line this isn't going to happen. The default Fedora core 3 install support for users with basic home netbios based networks is poor. At least I've gotten to the point where I can share files and print so I'll live with it.