Re: nsswitch.conf

Scot L. Harris wrote:

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 20:02, Robert wrote:

I recently installed Fedora core 3 and I'm having a problem with nsswitch.conf, it doesn't support wins on the hosts: line. Is there any way to get it?

wins is something that is really specific to Microsoft type systems. For linux or unix type systems you use DNS, host files, NIS+ to do name
to IP address translations.

While you can configure samba on linux to provide wins support for other
systems as far as I know it will not use wins to resolve gethostbyname
calls.

What are you trying to accomplish?  Maybe there is another solution.

I want to have my system automatically resolve netbios names without running a wins server. Samba is working fine except for this problem. A couple of solutions are to manually edit the lmhosts file or to hack up a cron script that runs nbtscan and puts the results in lmhosts (yuck). Suse seems to handles windows networking without problems with the default install. Why can't Fedora?