FC3 kppp problem Initializing modem

I have upgraded from FC2 to FC3. I used kppp in FC2 and it worked great.
After the upgrade, if I query the modem it will say "modem ready" but
gives blank AI's. If I try to connect, it will say "modem ready" and
then sticks on "Initializing modem".

I am used the Internet Configuration Wizard to make a connection and it
works (activating it via Network Device Control).

I have googled and found a lot of instances of this problem in various
flavors of linux, but no fix.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem I have?

Thanks in advance,

Ray