Re: A modest proposal

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 10:37 -0600, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> We should really create a new list for FC3. Trying to decide how to
> answer questions of a combined FC1-FC2-FC3 are near impossible
> especially if the questioner does not indicate which distribution
> he/she is using.

There are three primary downsides to this:

One, that newbies really should join the tettnang-list as well as
fedora-list to get more and better feedback. This creates one additional
level of complexity for them.

Two, that many people see different lists and decide to post to both
just in case someone on the other list has better ideas or can respond
more quickly. This tends to cause quite a bit of cross-posted traffic
and it makes many of the more knowledgeable readers have to wade through
a lot more crap to find people to help. More noise, less signal.

Three, there are a limited number of people who have gained significant
expertise, and keeping things on one list keeps all of them in the same
place. Otherwise, experts may just join the list for the release they
run, which is going to make a lot of people get a lot fewer answers.

Besides, FC1 questions can either be answered quickly from memory, or
can safely be answered with "upgrade or go to fedoralegacy". At this
point, fedora-list should really support only FC2 and FC3. *We* have to
discriminate somewhat so we can help those whom we actually intended to
help.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>