Re: mysql 4.x and fedoracore2

Personally I believe that there are more features in Postgres, they are technically different (unless you define what you mean by that :)). There is a conformance to the ACID principles in Postgres which are currently being developed or getting there slowly with MySQL or are just simply not there.

Personally Postgres is something that can effectively stand in the same league as Oracle and friends. Version 8.0 has some really neat features, such as tablespaces for one. http://advocacy.postgresql.org/advantages/ is useful in explaining what is available.

Aly.

Was about a year ago on the mysql web site I believe. I read through
all the stuff they had there on the licensing. It was important to me
as well. When the issue first came up I had been using mysql for a few
internal applications. After reviewing the information available I
opted for using postgresql (which was easy to transition to btw) as it
has much more liberal and clear cut licensing. The mysql information
seemed fuzzy at best. Technically I feel mysql and postgresql are
equivalent. There are some slight differences in some of the setup and
admin of the two databases but nothing that is really difficult.

-- Aly Dharshi aly.dharshi@xxxxxxxxx

	 "A good speech is like a good dress
	  that's short enough to be interesting
	  and long enough to cover the subject"