Re: mysql 4.x and fedoracore2

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 11:23, James Kosin wrote:
> Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
>
> >MySQL4 is available under the terms of the GPL or a commercial license.
> >Additionally there is an exception to permit linking with proprietary
> >free and open source licensed software like the PHP.
> >

> Ok, your point is valid here; but they do implement an EXCEPTION to the GPL.
>

> You have to include YOU and I along with those Evil Companies.  The
> agreement applies to ALL code generated, compiled, distributed with the
> MySQL libraries.
>
> So, If you created something really neat and wanted to pass it along to
> a friend, you have two choices.  a) Give your friend (or not) the
> complete source to your new gadget or (b) Purchase the commercial
> license from MySQL to be able to distribute the binary only to your friend.
>
> Basically, this statement alone locks everyone into their GPL agreement
> unless you purchase a commercial license.  For all works you create.
>
> Correct me if I'm still wrong; because we (you, I and all of us here)
> could get MySQL4 included in the Fedora distribution if in fact this
> falls under the GPL.
>
> James Kosin

That is the way I read it.  At one point it even appeared that in a
corporate situation they wanted a commercial license for applications
that were used internally only.  Worded along the lines of if you have
any doubts you better buy a license.

I have found postgresql to be an excellent replacement with no questions
about licensing issues.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them,
but to be indifferent to them; that's the essence of inhumanity.
		-- G.B. Shaw