grub won't work / DVD won't boot

I have a dual-boot pc w/FC2 and W2k.

Recently I had to re-install W2k. I don't remember
when and how it happened (use primarly my notebook)
but grub disappeared.

Last week I took my DVD drive to a little company
where I take care for their Linux/Samba server. That
server has no Internet connection nor CD/DVD-ROM drive
so I used my own drive to update the Fedora system
from the latest RedHat Magazine DVD.

I decided to update my rarely used PC too.

Problem 1: I can't boot from any DVD that was included
in RedHat Magazine. I can boot from a FC1 CD-ROM (I
have with DVD with 8 different Knoppix versions - that
works).

Problem 2: I used to FC1 to boot 'linux rescue' and
went for 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' and 'grub-install
/dev/hda'. Seems to work fine and I don't get any
error messages. grub doesn't find the FC2 system and
I'm screwed.

Any ideas what went/is going wrong?

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 100MB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de