Re: grub won't work / DVD won't boot

Thoralf Polet wrote:
I have a dual-boot pc w/FC2 and W2k.

Recently I had to re-install W2k. I don't remember
when and how it happened (use primarly my notebook)
but grub disappeared.

Last week I took my DVD drive to a little company
where I take care for their Linux/Samba server. That
server has no Internet connection nor CD/DVD-ROM drive
so I used my own drive to update the Fedora system
from the latest RedHat Magazine DVD.

I decided to update my rarely used PC too.

Problem 1: I can't boot from any DVD that was included
in RedHat Magazine. I can boot from a FC1 CD-ROM (I
have with DVD with 8 different Knoppix versions - that
works).

Problem 2: I used to FC1 to boot 'linux rescue' and
went for 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' and 'grub-install
/dev/hda'. Seems to work fine and I don't get any
error messages. grub doesn't find the FC2 system and
I'm screwed.

Any ideas what went/is going wrong?

Since you have FC1 running again, you might need to either mount your disk that contains your boot partition and copy the kernel information from the mounted boot partition to your active boot partition.

Reading the portion that the FC1 rescue disc does not recognize FC2 as a choice, you might have try the FC2 rescue disc to see if it recognizes the FC2 installation. If that fails, you might need to try installing FC2 again.

Do you have seperate boot partitions for each installation?

Anyway, the list archives might have some helpful hints as to how to get back the missing installation.

Jim
--
You are scrupulously honest, frank, and straightforward.  Therefore you
have few friends.