Re: no more sound

Ed,
thanks for the hint. I hadn't done that yet, instead I installed a
second soundcard (Soundblaster live) from another computer. FC2 detected
allright but still I did not get sound (although multimedia applications
(like xmms) play files without problems). I get no error reports.
When I try to open the Volume Control I get the error reply  "Sorry, no
mixer elements and/or devices found"

After running  system-config-sound I had the option to play a test
sound. That one I heard. Tried to play some music again with XMMS and
now I here the music but volume is low. Starting the Volume Control app
gives the same error report.  (Volume level control in XMMS works).

Then I tried the command aumix from the command line and that seems to
work.

Launching gnome-volume-control from the command line gives an error
report :
"
ERROR: Caught a segmentation fault while loading plugin file:
/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstffmpeg.so

Please either:
- remove it and restart.
- run with --gst-disable-segtrap and debug.
"
So at least I get something to start investigating. If  remember well
gstreamer and associated packages were updated some time ago.  Anyway, I
have rudimentary sound control now,  it keeps me busy and I learn
something :-)

Thanks for the tip !
Marc