Re: port 25 refused

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 05:02, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I am from India and use Ethernet based connectivity (which breaks
> > frequently) from a cable ISP who provides a private ip address
> > 172.16.x.x and masqed outbound connectivity.
>
> That is really wierd! We have a vpn for a section of Salford Uni with an
> IP address of 172.16.x.x and it's completely useless (IMO)
>
> According to whois though, it's owned by ICANN for private purposes so
> shouldn't be allocated to anyone!
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

Not at all weird.

Private IPs can be used within any totally contained LAN/WAN but are not
routeable on the internet.  Thus when using those addresses internally
they work fine.  Networks that are outside the local segment using
private addresses can only contact the public IP presented at the
gateway/nat device.

Any network using private IPs (172.16.x.x,  192.168.x.x, etc) must use
nat for any devices within the network to access the internet.