Re: Unable to record/capture sound using a microphone

Jeff Vian wrote:
On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 16:27, Frans Coppens wrote:

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 22:01, Jeff Vian wrote:

Does the dynamic mic work plugged into the back?

Ehm, what's a dynamic Mic? I'm sorry. I'm kind of a noob on Mic's ;)

mic == microphone;  You were the one that said dynamic mic and ceramic
mic.  I assume you know what you are referring to.

You said the ceramic works on the back but the dynamic does not work on
the front.  I was trying to rule out the different connection points as
the issue.

Is the cabling properly connected between the front and back?

There is no front. It's an Audigy 2 Dell (Bulk) card. Bit I'm sure it's connected properly.

You said front and back.  I assume here you also know what that meant,
To me it means front of the case and back of the case (on the sound card
directly).

There are more issues possible than just the mic.

Could be. I don't know at this point. Tried to use it in Windows but a had to speak very loudly to make myself hearable to the person at the other end of the line. My guess is the mic is'n sensitive enough, so I'm thinking about buying a new one.

It certainly can be a mismatch between the mic and the card. Sensitivity is not likely the issue (unless the mic is extremely old)
but impedance mismatch can be a major factor.

Does anyone still use ceramic mics? Wow! I mean, this IS the 21st century, isn't it?

(getting into my Tin Lizzy, advancing the spark and getting my pal to
crank it over...)
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-         Microsoft Windows:  Proof that P.T. Barnum was right       -