Re: Unable to record/capture sound using a microphone

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 16:27, Frans Coppens wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 22:01, Jeff Vian wrote:
>
> > Does the dynamic mic work plugged into the back?
>
> Ehm, what's a dynamic Mic? I'm sorry. I'm kind of a noob on Mic's ;)

mic == microphone;  You were the one that said dynamic mic and ceramic
mic.  I assume you know what you are referring to.

You said the ceramic works on the back but the dynamic does not work on
the front.  I was trying to rule out the different connection points as
the issue.

> > Is the cabling properly connected between the front and back?
>
> There is no front. It's an Audigy 2 Dell (Bulk) card. Bit I'm sure it's
> connected properly.

You said front and back.  I assume here you also know what that meant,
To me it means front of the case and back of the case (on the sound card
directly).

> > There are more issues possible than just the mic.
>
> Could be. I don't know at this point. Tried to use it in Windows but a
> had to speak very loudly to make myself hearable to the person at the
> other end of the line. My guess is the mic is'n sensitive enough, so I'm
> thinking about buying a new one.

It certainly can be a mismatch between the mic and the card.
Sensitivity is not likely the issue (unless the mic is extremely old)
but impedance mismatch can be a major factor.