Re: Flame on Disk Druid

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 01:56:07PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

I just installed Fedora-2 on a new machine,
and found Disk Druid quite useless at partitioning the machine.

I admit that the Windows partitioning was odd, to say the least.
There was a 64GB NTFS first partition,
while the second partition was "Windows 95 Extended"
with a 4MB VFAT partition inside.
The disk is 250GB, so this leaves a lot of space.

First I opted for "automatic partitioning"
but this bombed out with a rather useless error message,
so I was forced to use Disk Druid.
This simply refused to accept anything I suggested.

So I put in a Knoppix CD, and partitioned with fdisk.

I really wish the fdisk option was still offered
as an alternative to Disk Druid.

It is offered but you have to know the trick. Just before you are about to go to disk druid hit ALT-CTL-F1 (might be F2). This puts you into a shell where you can run fdisk. Then I think one does ALT-CTL-F7 and you are back in the anaconda.

From the gui installer it's ctrl-alt-f2 from the text installer it's alt-f2 and from the command line (after you got to the second console) you press alt-f7 to get back to the gui installer, but I don't know what console the text installer is on (maybe alt-f1?).

Mike