Re: Swap partition? (Re: FC2 & Dell Inspiron 7500 - newbie friendly?)

On Thursday 10 June 2004 11:47 pm, Timothy Luoma wrote:
<snip>
> I am now reinstalling WinXP.  I have found the Dell Utility to make a "Save
> to Disk" (S2D) partition which was designed to work with Redhat:
>
> Red Hat Linux 6.2 & 7.0 Suspend to Disk Util for Dell Notebook systems
> [Redhat Linux 6.2 & 7.0 Version 1.1.i386]
>
> So I'm going to try this again.  My question are these:
>
> 1) Do I need a separate swap partition? [512mb ram]
>     - what size should it be?
>     - how/when do I create it?  During the installation process?

I do not know what "Save to Disk" parition is, but if that other OS (winXP)
use it to save stuff in there, then Yes, to be on the save side you probably
want another swap partition.
It's hard to say for sure how big of a swap you have. It sorta depends on your
memory, but the generic rule of thumb is: Swap = 2 x RAM, but not larger than
2 GB. That should work well in most cases.

You can create during the installation, or even after the installation from
the OS. You can use fdisk to create a swap partition (assuming you still have
free space in your HD), then tell the OS to use that swap partition in
/etc/fstab (I assume the process is similar to do the same thing for, say RH
9, so go to www.redhat.com and look for the manual / doc for RH 9. It's
explained clearly there).

> 2) Will the save-to-disk partition work with FC2? [I know there are no
> guarantees in life, but...]

I don't know. Never even heard of such thing. You can try it, but if you have
free space you can also save yourself the hazzle just by creating another
swap partition (it really only takes like 5 minutes, probably more if you're
a first timer and need to read the manual I mentioned above).

> 3) I will probably install FreeBSD in a 3rd partition.
>     - Any suggestion as to whether I should install FBSD before or after
> FC2?
>     - Can FBSD and FC2 share the same swap partition?
>     - Can FBSD and FC2 share the same S2D partition?

Never used FreeBSD. Sorry, can't really help there.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Department of Physics and Astronomy