Re: Swap partition? (Re: FC2 & Dell Inspiron 7500 - newbie friendly?)

At 23:47 10/6/2004 -0400, you wrote:

Good news: Installation was very impressive overall.  Straightforward and
let me set my video card and sound card and made a nice GUI when all was
said and done

Oddity: I had made a small 532mb partition at the beginning of the drive to
try and make a 'save to disk' partition.  I think WinXP had put some files
there, and it wouldn't have worked in the long run anyway.  During the
setup, I was strongly encouraged to mark a partition for swap, and tried to
use that 532mb partition.

FC2 installed cleanly... Except that WinXP would no longer boot :-/

Ok, probably my fault.

I am now reinstalling WinXP.  I have found the Dell Utility to make a "Save
to Disk" (S2D) partition which was designed to work with Redhat:

Red Hat Linux 6.2 & 7.0 Suspend to Disk Util for Dell Notebook systems
[Redhat Linux 6.2 & 7.0 Version 1.1.i386]

So I'm going to try this again.  My question are these:

1) Do I need a separate swap partition? [512mb ram]
    - what size should it be?
    - how/when do I create it?  During the installation process?

2) Will the save-to-disk partition work with FC2? [I know there are no
guarantees in life, but...]

3) I will probably install FreeBSD in a 3rd partition.
    - Any suggestion as to whether I should install FBSD before or after
FC2?
    - Can FBSD and FC2 share the same swap partition?
    - Can FBSD and FC2 share the same S2D partition?

TjL

Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.

Everything you need to know about dual boot using FC2 is here: http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html That´s the fix for XP no longer booting.