Re: rh9 to fc2

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 01:24:07PM +0800, Kent Emia wrote:

> hi to all our current server is on rh9 .. can i safely upgrade this into
> fc2 ??
>
> our server is not running any sophisticated applications, it is only
> major on cvs and sambaPDC ..

It is safe but I have not seen a good check list for this upgrade path yet.

>From FC1 to FC2 I have a short unfinished list of tweaks I am compiling...
Some would be painful without hints.  The list from RH9 would be longer.

If you have a small test machine to do a scratch install of FC2.
Perhaps a scratch RH9 then FC2 update. Tinker and test, then go for the
real upgrade.  With a scratch FC2 system you will be able to compare things
and quickly solve many of your own configuration change issues.

My checklist does include fixing /etc/sysconfig/rhn/system as a #1
thing to do. Thus:
#1:
   mv /etc/sysconfig/rhn/system   /etc/sysconfig/rhn/system-RHn-reference
   mv /etc/sysconfig/rhn/system.rpmnew   /etc/sysconfig/rhn/system
   up2date --show-orphans
   up2date --show-orphans > /root/rpm-orphans-after-upgrade
   up2date  # or up2date-nox to get updates for a couple things quickly.

For a long running system like this "--show-orphans" can remind you of
many packages you may need to give special attention to.  For example
pine might matter to you.

My #2 is to clean up the rpmnew and rpmsave files.  I am impatient
so I force slocate.cron to run.
#2:
   cd /etc/cron.daily/
   ./slocate.cron
   locate rpmnew	# inspect and run differences on each
   locate rpmsave	# inspect and run differences on each
Example:
	# locate rpmnew
	/etc/cups/cupsd.conf.rpmnew

	# ls -l /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.rpmnew /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
	-rw-r-----  1 root sys 21350 May 21 02:15 /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
	-rw-r-----  1 root sys 21225 Jun  2 08:34 /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.rpmnew
      Now decide what to do..
	# diff /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.rpmnew /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
      or
	# less /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.rpmnew /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
      or
        # vim -d /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.rpmnew /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Some folks would put some of the X related changes closer to the top.
I will let them add their notes.  Since you said server my #1 and #2
are good choices for 1 & 2.

Named is now chrooted... make sure named is correct if you are running it.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l