Re: SiS5513 & 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl

Hi Mark,

try passing to the kernel  during boot

ide=nodma

(may be ide1=nodma or ide2=nodma see if this is valid)

These are paramters to the installation program (that doesn't work during installation) but they may function to the kernel (who knows? this may be your luck day. Okay, this is just a try, forget abou it if it doesn't work)

Daniel

Mark Susol|Ultimate Creative Media wrote:

I'm having difficulties keeping a server running under FC1 with a SiS5515
chipset and 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl kerenl from FC1 distro CDs. The main problem
is with my secondary drive giving me errors like:

hdb: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x41
dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x40
hdb: timeout waiting for DMA
hdb: timeout waiting for DMA
hdb: (__ide_dma_test_irq) called while not waiting
hda: lost interrupt
last message repeated 6 times
hdb: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide0: reset: success

Which then under peak usage just hangs the server and eventually only a hard boot will bring it around.

I've already had to replace one HD for I/O bad sector errors, and now I
can't seem to keep this HD going either. I'm trying to run with DMA off but
it keeps getting reset by the kernel. This seems like a software problem as
in FC and the chipset and IDE controller.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2001-00/0473.html

The sis5513 driver deliberatly overrides the CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO and
the BIOS settings that might disable UDMA and forces UDMA which works
for a while then fails, attempts to fallback to a non-DMA mode and
fails that as well.

From my dmseg file:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00beta4-2.4 ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx SIS5513: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:02.5 SIS5513: chipset revision 0 SIS5513: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later SIS5513: SiS 962/963 MuTIOL IDE UDMA133 controller ide0: BM-DMA at 0xff00-0xff07, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA

Any ideas?

Mark Susol