Re: Secure entry into remote systems

Edward wrote:

However, with a few customers more than 1.5 hours drive away, I need to look at remote administration. Especially for simply adding few users to a spamassassin white list or the like, which really only are 10 minute jobs.

So, I was thinking about setting up dyndns or no-ip addresses for these servers, then opening up the firewall for either ssh or VPN. None of my customers have a static internet address.

I've used ssh locally before, and that is really simple to set up, but because of the open hole I'll be creating my question is really: Should I be learning about setting up VPN tunnels into their systems instead?

i do these jobs with:

dyndns_provider
firewall:not_22 --> ssh-server:22
ssh, sftp, scp

works great

if you need X11Forwarding, this can be really slow, escpecially rdesktop.

the _few_ situations i need rdesktop/w2k-terminal-server Xnest,... VNC, timbuktu, pcanywhere, ...

i forward the needed port(s) on the firewall to the real-server for the short-time and close it afterwards,
you will see great perfomance-differences.

-- shrek-m