Re: restoring FC1 to *new* partition from tar archive

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 01:28:46AM -0400, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

Running without -p and --numeric-owner could cause some problems:
-p: preserves permissions. Without this, the permissions of extracted
files will be affected by the value of umask.
--numeric-owner: if you had created the tar.gz under FC1 and extracted it
under MDK, different values for same users in /etc/passwd could cause
problems. As you made the tar and extracted it under FC1, you shouldn't
worry about this one.

I'm hoping you mean that as long as the source and destination
filesystems have an IDENTICAL /etc/password... I shouldn't worry?

That's right, but only for the --numeric-owner. Without -p, some files may be created without the proper permissions.

Here's a way to check the permission of files installed in your system:
rpm -qf $(rpm -V --nodeps --nomd5 --noscripts $(rpm -qa) | grep '^.M' |
sed 's/.* //') | sort -u

Actually I did use mdk to create the tar from an FC1 filesystem. And I
used mdk to restore it as a complete FC1 filesystem... I'm thinking the
problems would be if I tried to restore it TO the mdk filesystem. (I hope)

No, only if you tried to restore it _under_ a different system.

I think you are confusing /restore/ with /use/. It can be /restored/ using any system. The ownership is numeric and does not change on a differnent system.
The user ids are a problem if /used/ on a system where the group and passwd files define different userids for the owners.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha