Re: restoring FC1 to *new* partition from tar archive

It would appear that on May 8, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha did say:

> On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 03:37:46PM -0400, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > next I did a cd to the old FC1's mount point and:
> >
> > # tar -czf /archivepath/tarfilename.tgz .
>
> I use tar czsSpf dest.tar.gz *
>
> And then extract with tar xzsSpf --numeric-owner dest.tar.gz
>
> > Tar said it was skipping some sockets, which I wasn't sure about, but all
> > of them were in /tmp so I figured they couldn't be that important...
>
> Sockets are only inodes and can be created only with bind(2). Don't worry
> about them

OK I won't worry about sockets... Thanks!

> > Then I did a cd to the new FC1 mount point and:
> >
> > # tar -xpzf /archivepath/tarfilename.tgz .
>
> You could have done it in one single pass:
>
> tar csSpf - * | (cd /newpart && tar xzsSpf - --numeric-owner)
>
> or: cp -a /old /new

Perhaps so, But I'm also using the tarfiles for an archive...
# split -b 699m tarfile.tgz tarfile.tgz_split_
Then I burn tarfile.tgz_split_aa on one cd-R, tarfile.tgz_split_ab on
the next, etc...

> Running without -p and --numeric-owner could cause some problems:
> -p: preserves permissions. Without this, the permissions of extracted
>     files will be affected by the value of umask.
> --numeric-owner: if you had created the tar.gz under FC1 and extracted it
> under MDK, different values for same users in /etc/passwd could cause
> problems. As you made the tar and extracted it under FC1, you shouldn't
> worry about this one.

I'm hoping you mean that as long as the source and destination
filesystems have an IDENTICAL /etc/password... I shouldn't worry?
Actually I did use mdk to create the tar from an FC1 filesystem. And I
used mdk to restore it as a complete FC1 filesystem... I'm thinking the
problems would be if I tried to restore it TO the mdk filesystem. (I hope)