Re: OS Performance (was OT: New low for Microsoft!)

I will second this. I have two Pent II boxes, some 192 megs ram, that I use for test boxen, home network stuff. I found RH9 more sluggish in gnome than FC1 as well. FC1 seems a bit more jumpier than RH9 was.

I do agree however, that Gnome/KDE have gotten bloated, just as XP did. Compare Win2k desktop to XP sometime, you'll notice a large speed difference, not to mention XP gui is very buggy still.

Unfortunately, our GUI's are becoming less GUI's and more applications as time goes bye.

along with the slow menus that you mentioned before but it seems to have
dramatically improved when I went from RH 9 to Fedora. I'm running on an
old system (P-III 500 512 MB RAM, an old Riva TNT2) and any "GUI lag" that I
used to see is gone. It used to be one of my biggest pet peeves with
working in X before FC1.