Re: Tackling a shared USB printer (linux -> WXP)

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 18:34, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 18:12:45 -0400
> From: "Brion Swanson" <brions@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Tackling a shared USB printer (linux -> WXP)
> To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> It seems to me that the printer is hooked up to a single machine - i.e.
> presumably a machine that only runs one operating system at a time - or it's
> hooked up to a hardware print server.  In either case, the interface through
> which the printer receives its data should be of one type.  In other words,
> when I - as the software printing driver - talk to the physical printer, I
> use only one language to talk to that printer -- the most appropriate common
> language.  All other devices that want to talk through the printer must go
> through the printer driver -- a single printer driver.
>
> If I set up a printer in Windows and shared it, I don't believe I'd need to
> set up multiple versions of the same printer, one for each different OS that
> uses it.  Windows would configure one printer, with one driver (the Canon
> driver in my case) and then other computers would talk to Windows to print,
> not to the printer directly.  In which case, I only need the driver that
> works with windows to be loaded and possibly some translation software to
> convert, say, a stream of bytes into something the printer will understand.
>
> I agree it's logical to have one queue for each device that needs a
> different driver, but managing 'n' number of queues for a single printer
> because I have 'n' number of different OSes, each of which talk to the
> printer in a different language is, if not difficult at least annoying.
>
> I want to set up the printer locally in linux, then tell the rest of the
> world, "Hey! I have a printer you can use if you want to talk to it through
> me!" and have that be it.  It doesn't seem like such a difficult task.
> Other operating systems do it - why not this one?
>
> Sorry this turned into a little rant, but it just bugs me that this
> "thousand-queue" solution is the best thing linux has to offer when sharing
> a USB printer with other operating systems.
>
> Brion
Brion:

I have a Linux system that has a HP 1200 coonected through a USB and
share that with 4 Windoze machines. I am using Samba and Cups without
any problems. I also use my Linux box as a file server without any
problems.

There are some excellent  Howto's on Samba and Cups

Samba Howto docs: http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/
CUPS Howto docs: http://www.cups.org/documentation.php
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/smeserver/contribs/rvandenaker/beta/e-smith-cups/documentation/